MMC card problem in S7-315 2DP

Hello Iman,

I am system tester for Siemens PLCs

The memory card you mentioned is a flash memory and it is not acceptable for the PLC model 315-2DP you mentioned, it requires a memory card of memory type s-ram.

This flash cards are acceptable only by new series of plcs.

Last edited:
Venkata.

I am pretty sure you are wrong. The 315-2DP CPU with 128 kB work memory is type 6ES7315-2AG10-0AB0 which uses an MMC card.

Dont you think that Iman would have noticed the difference of the size of the MMC card and the MC card slot if you were right ?

Hello Jesper,

you are right 315-2DP CPU accepts MMC card, but the type of card which Iman trying to use 512KB supports flash.

And in one of my projects here we faced similar issue in 400 PLC which won't show any status error at module level and wont allow download completely due to memory type differences.

Please check the below link for compatible versions of memory card with 512kb flash.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/#document/50025619?lc=en-WW

Iman has a 6ES7953-8LJ30-0AA0 512 kB MMC card.
The 6ES7315-2AG10-0AB0 uses MMC cards.

I dont understand were you are going with this.

edit: And yes, the MMC cards use flash technology. I know that.

Yes, even I checked the details... it should accept MMC, but as per the siemens 6ES7315-2AG10-0AB0 should accept max of 8MB MMC. please refer to the attachment

MMC Support  315-2DP.jpg

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

As per the above discussion, 512KB is not accepted for 315-2DP with part number 6ES7315-2AG10-0AB0 due to less work memory 128KB, but as per Siemens it should accept MMC cards till 8MB

Venkata.

What you write is nonsense.
The 512 kB card works fine in Iman's CPU.
Iman's problem is that the size of the program is too much for the work memory of his CPU.

And I think that must be enough about this topic for today !

MMC is only load memory

Dear Iman,

Ideas:

- The MMC (MicroMemoryCard) is only load memory, say like a hard disk in your computer.

- The RAM is where the executable program and data exist.

- A program usually needs a larger space in load memory than in RAM.

- You may use a MMC of 8MB, but the RAM would not be bigger enough to load the full program, so it won't run the program.

- The MMC can store extra DBs (not used online) or files loaded with the PC.

Hope this helps,
Kelkoon

Jesper,
I've read the discussion and being a little confused. With this type of CPU my program work memory should not be more than 128KB. So why this type of CPU support till 8MB MMC? That's a little strange. For example, in PC when it lacks of RAM memory in Windows O.S it takes some part of HARD to compensate the bottleneck of RAM (based on Kelkoon comparison) I know it is computer and this one is PLC but it is just a comparison. And why SIEMENS doesn't mention this issue in its brochure?????
Another question is, what part of program affects on work memory capacity?
Thanks

As per the above discussion, 512KB is not accepted for 315-2DP with part number 6ES7315-2AG10-0AB0 due to less work memory 128KB, but as per Siemens it should accept MMC cards till 8MB
I don't understand exactly what you are saying but do you have any part number of the memory type you have suggested me that can solve my problem??
Thanks