MMC card problem in S7-315 2DP

Iman

Hey guys,
I've got a strange problem. I've developed a program which its capacity is 266KB. My PLC is S7 315-2DP. I've bought a brand new MMC with 512 KB capacity and the part number is 6es7 953-8lJ30-0AA0 for the CPU. But when I was trying to download the program into it, an error occurred. The error was memory space is not sufficient but when I checked the module information, the program just loaded to 30% of memory and the other 70% was empty. I reduced the size of program under 130 KB and it was loaded without any problem. Also,I tried to load the image file of this memory with Winhex software but same problem happened. I don't know what to do anymore. Does anybody have an idea??
Thank you.

Does the MMC contain blocks that are not part of the offline program ?
If so, go online and delete these blocks manually.

Did you check the block memory usage under the Blocks Properties ?
It will inform you how much memory is used for the HW configuration, for data and for code.
If the HW configuration uses more than 250 kB, it may be because the webserver is enabled. Turning off the webserver may free up 220 kB or more.

I don't understand what part exactly do you mean. In each block I've found 4 types of memory allocation:
1-local data
2-MC7
3-Load Memory Requirement
4-Work Memory Requirement
I've attached a picture of these in one OB block. Which one should be considered to choose a MMC card?
Thanks

Untitled.png

Thank you for your help. I did your tips and find that
Size in load memory: 278626 bytes
Size in work memory: 225630 bytes
and know which one should be considered for MMC?

It looks OK, the System data is only 1664 bytes, and the program load memory is 278626 Bytes. That should fit in the 512 kB MMC card.

I am guessing there were some blocks on the MMC card already, using up the available memory.
Post a screenshot of the online CPU properties memory usage.

Go to the online block folder select all blocks (OB,FC,FB,DB) and delete them before you try to download your own program.

If your 315 is some years old, the work memory might be 256kbyte or less (ex: -AF03 has only 64kByte). You can find it under PLC/Diagnostics/Module info/Memory.

The work memory cannot be expanded.

Kalle

Last edited:
It looks OK, the System data is only 1664 bytes, and the program load memory is 278626 Bytes. That should fit in the 512 kB MMC card.

I am guessing there were some blocks on the MMC card already, using up the available memory.
Post a screenshot of the online CPU properties memory usage.
Sorry for being late,
I've Attached three pictures:
1-First one is when the Memory is totally empty
2-Second one is when I only Download the HW config
3-Third one is when I download the program but unfortunately it doesn't finish and the capacity error is generated.

1.png HWconfig.png 3.png

Go to the online block folder select all blocks (OB,FC,FB,DB) and delete them before you try to download your own program.

If your 315 is some years old, the work memory might be 256kbyte or less (ex: -AF03 has only 64kByte). You can find it under PLC/Diagnostics/Module info/Memory.

The work memory cannot be expanded.

Kalle
So my program size in work memory is 225 KB refer to two previous posts which I attached a picture of it. In that case I should change my CPU type?
But also in Siemens brochure I checked it is 256KB,(attached picture) I don't understand why SIEMENS doesn't mention that in the older version is not 256KB.
Do you think this is the case which I cannot download my program?

test.jpg

Your CPU only has 128 kB work memory, so it is an older model.
Probably 6ES7315-2AG10-0AB0.
The latest with 256 kB is 6ES7315-2AH14-0AB0.
And you think this is the issue which I cannot download my program?

Last edited:
Yes. You have to drastically cut down the code and data in your program, or install a newer CPU.
Consider that the 256 kB in the 6ES7315-2AH14-0AB0 is just barely enough for your program that takes up approx 230 kB. You may run into that any new code may cause you to hit the roof again. Consider the 315-2PN/DP CPU, it has 384kB work memory and also has Ethernet onboard. Any current PLCs must have ethernet IMO.

Yes. You have to drastically cut down the code and data in your program, or install a newer CPU.
Consider that the 256 kB in the 6ES7315-2AH14-0AB0 is just barely enough for your program that takes up approx 230 kB. You may run into that any new code may cause you to hit the roof again. Consider the 315-2PN/DP CPU, it has 384kB work memory and also has Ethernet onboard. Any current PLCs must have ethernet IMO.
By the way, do I still need the 512 KB memory due to my load memory size which is more than 128KB? My previous memory was 128 KB.