Home Automation - get notifications on iPhone

The S7-1200 from Siemens has a web page built into it that can show custom pages, and I think it can send emails as well.

Those sorts of features are actually starting to become fairly common on more recent Ethernet enabled PLCs from a lot of vendors. Others have mentioned AD and the micro850. It's becoming quite impressive what one can get done for a few hundred bucks.

Downside: a few hundred bucks is still pretty expensive for a home automation project to water your plants.

AustralIan said:
You could even ditch the tank and this would free up further drone funds.
True! Now this is genuine Aussie thinking outside the box! Who needs a PLC when you have a drone? And who needs notifications when I can just have the drone track me down via my phone GPS and tap me on the shoulder if there's a problem?

Manglemender said:
My other thought would be to use the codesys control for raspberry pi for your project and use the web based HMI on your phone. As you can only turn on the water when you're at home then it doesn't really mater that you don't see the details outside the house?
I do want to be able to access it outside the house - if I'm away for work (or on holiday) I'd like to at least be able to log in and see what's going on if something is wrong. But I think the RPi is a feasible option. Do you have any links or documents you can point a total novice to, as to how to get started with an RPi and CodeSys?

Jeev said:
-Raspberry Pi with VM on it (Or PC/NUC) connected to your home network.
-PLC connected to your home network.
-AdvancedHMI (or similar) and TightVNC/TeamViewer (Or similar) on your Pi/PC/NUC.
-Put remote access client app on your phone.
-Access your HMI from your phone or any computer that has internet access.
That's a really nice neat solution - gives me full HMI remote control of everything and a PLC doing the control. I could probably even add the push notification script to the RPi and check all the boxes!

JohnCalderwood said:
Or a Wago 2 pass system which is a telemetry system, you can build up with your own I/O cards. Programming software is free...
I've not used anything to do with Wago before. I'll do some reading...do you have any handy links to get me started?
RichardB said:
You could try an Ethernet Click PLC from AutomationDirect. You can use AdvancedHMI with it.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...net"&start=0
Looks good, I was thinking AD - I use the entry level Click for a lot of small projects and I find the software quite user friendly as far as free software goes. Good to know that it'll work with AdvancedHMI, I'm keen to give that a try as well!

diat150 said:
Excellent! Thanks for that, I was wondering where to start looking for cheap float switches! Of course, by the time I get it over the pond here it'll be more like A$25, but I'm not going to complain about that!

dginbuffalo said:
The Click will do Modbus- I know you asked about that earlier. Also I think a Micrologix can send email/text. I've been looking to do this myself lately:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=79370

Also wondering if the Micro 800 family can do it?
A little Micrologix 1100 would go quite nicely - let me know if you can get it to work sending emails!

mk42 said:
The S7-1200 from Siemens has a web page built into it that can show custom pages, and I think it can send emails as well.

Those sorts of features are actually starting to become fairly common on more recent Ethernet enabled PLCs from a lot of vendors. Others have mentioned AD and the micro850. It's becoming quite impressive what one can get done for a few hundred bucks.

Downside: a few hundred bucks is still pretty expensive for a home automation project to water your plants.

I'm trying to stay away from Siemens - simply because of the software cost. I mean I have all the software available on my work laptop, but if I use a ML1100 or a Micro850 or a Click I can get free software to program it on any PC. Just seems a little bit more suited to the home environment :) but yes, I think technology is just getting to the right stage to make home projects like this one viable and worthwhile :)

Thanks everyone for all the ideas! If you have any more, keep them coming, I'm always open to creative ideas!

In Circuit Cellar Inc issue 310 has an article for a remote control that uses an iPhone app called "Mote" and I quote:
"Mote which enables you to design various remote control
“screens” using a drag and drop interface.
After you lay out your remote control, you can
“attach” to each button/slider a command
string that will be transmitted by the iPad
over Wi-Fi. You can select among various
transmission protocols such as UDP, TCP/IP,
or HTTP. You can design as many “screens”
as you wish." End quote

In the first post, the OP mentions the following:
Bonus points for whoever can make it work with the cheapest components
On the side, the other side of when I don't so PLC and SCADA, I develop my own.

I have used for a number of years now the small micro-controller systems called Arduino, surely most have heard of these these days, find them in CornFlake maybe?

In early days I started with a simple system when I had an Ethernet connection on the Arduino and made a control system with web interface with direct control. This has got to be one of the simplest and cheapest forms of control.
Things have move a fair bit since those days, with a huge interest in the IoT now and newer boards with more crammed onboard.

But for me, I needed more power and greater flexibility, or I was just a sucker for more punishment and learning.
So, Went a combination of Arduino for the basic low level control and I/O coupled with a small Linux board for the higher level interface.

Think along the lines, Arduino = basic PLC and Linux board is capable SCADA system.

I wasn't impressed with what RPi were at all, so went to a Cubieboard II, a dual core ARM.

Rather than loading this system down with what is usually done, that is load up LAMP stack, I decided to code my own specific SCADA system from scratch, all in C.

It's been a few years in development and needs more works still, but in essence, the SCADA system can communicate with devices using MODBUS RTU and TCP, and many of them at the same time. RTU for async serial, either RS-232 or EIA-485 or USB, and TCP, well, for Ethernet.

I've done a fair bit with Modbus and Arduino in recent years, and quite like it since it is now open.

The SCADA system, written in C, I call Quadlog SCADA, does a number of things, like poll all devices for data, historical data logging and so forth.

The actual GUI is HTLM5, so anyone with skills in HTML5 can make very nice visually exciting user interfaces.

Using a standard web browser was one of my criteria, rather than trying to re-develop a full SCADA GUI, the capability and what is available inHTML5 is immense and works across a range of platforms and devices.

I'm not directly suggesting that you look at or use what I have, as there is still work needed on the system, but I have been using it for my own renewable energy system as well as a few other sites around this pale blue dot ;)

Anyhow, just thoughts.
You need to consider if you want it all data storage and control in-house (pun) or if you wish to make use of online or cloud services. I like to have full control of my stuff, hence why I went down this path. I guess I have worked in PLC /SCADA too long now :p

Last edited:
Here is a link to the codesys control for PI:

http://store.codesys.com/codesys-control-for-raspberry-pi-sl.html?___store=en&___from_store=default

There are some demo's available.

As Paul mentioned, the original PI was seriously under powered; the Pi-2 was a big improvement and the PI-3 is better again and now has more reasonable processing powers. It should also be said that the Arduino is very popular for this kind of thing.

I use the Weaved service for remote connection over the Internet with SSH and VNC http://weaved.com/

You could just put a webcam looking at the tank and access that remotely.

Nick

Don't worry about the cost of high priced PLC's, HMI's or any Automation device.. Over the years I've purchased tons(hundreds) of stuff on eBay .. from all over the planet. It's all worked, and some was as low as 10% retail, and new (in box) .. Sometimes you have to wait to be notified that someone is selling something you want, at a price you want. It will happen... :)

Instead of a click plc with ethernet which costs about 140 dols you could buy a click plc with rs232- modbus to comunicate with advanced hmi for half money. and then use temviewr or vnc or whatever..

Instead of a click plc with ethernet which costs about 140 dols you could buy a click plc with rs232- modbus to comunicate with advanced hmi for half money. and then use temviewr or vnc or whatever..

A serial port? In my house?!

Haha, I mean you're right, it would be cheaper. I'm a Gen Y programmer, grew up with Ethernet and hate the hassle and outdated-ness of serial - but maybe I can get over my prejudice if it'll save me $100 or so ;)

Thanks everyone for the links, I'll do some reading up and when I get deeper into the project I'l try to remember to come back with updates and pictures :)

:site: