S7-1200 HMI - home automation

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,
I'm looking for a HMI or just a display if I can't find a HMI. I will soon have a s7-1200 at home providing some information and control. I want the display/HMI at my entrance so a regular siemens basic HMI is not an option. What are my best options? Wallmounted Tablet using webserver of the 1200? The 1200 will also talk to a raspberry pi if that helps.

I bet a raspberry pi could run Ignition. Ignition Maker is free for non-commercial use, and they have Siemens drivers. Then your wall tablet could be a PC, Linux box, iPad, android tablet, or just a simple monitor plugged into your rPi with a HDMI range extender.

I have a siemens IPC 427c and a 1214 for my home automation. I used a rpi with Home Assistant and node red running on it to setup and display all my screens on iphone/ipad or any web-browser. Found this was starting to become unreliable due to the microSD card and had to restore a few times. Have moved home assistant and node red to a QNAP NAS last week hoping that this will be more stable. What is stopping you from using a regular siemens HMI?

Barry.

What is stopping you from using a regular siemens HMI?

I was wondering the same, or something like the Weintek hmi's play nicely with Siemens, comes with all free software and some panels with a lifetime remote access licence.

On a related sidenote, anyone got any info on suppliers of "nice" hmi only, surface mounted enclosures. i.e something, which wouldn't look too industrial.

Hi,
I'm looking for a HMI or just a display if I can't find a HMI. I will soon have a s7-1200 at home providing some information and control. I want the display/HMI at my entrance so a regular siemens basic HMI is not an option. What are my best options? Wallmounted Tablet using webserver of the 1200? The 1200 will also talk to a raspberry pi if that helps.

You should be able to load custom web pages into the 1200. I think a wallmounted tablet with some kind of kiosk app that loads the webpage would be the most straightforward (and cost effective) approach.

Not sure I'd rely on the solution for industrial control, but my front hall? sure.

I'm sure you're already there, but also make sure you think of the cyber security implications. If NorthKoreaHacker123 goes looking, how much will your house get owned? If it is internal network only, it's Probably fine, unless it isn't, but at that point your smart lights or beer cooler or whatever you're doing with a 1200 might be the least of your worries.