Control Panel Pictures

I have 9 panels in the works. I'll post pictures in a few weeks when they're done.

-rpoet

As promised, here are some pictures of the new, modular cabinets we're now using for theatrical automation. We used existing stock of our Parker Gemini servo controllers and packaged them in easy to use 19" rack cabinets. All the I/O for the drive is brought in/out on 3-pin XLR connectors, the encoder is brought back on a 21-pin Tajimi connector, and power is handled by twist-lock connectors.

These are common-bus servo drives, so I included the ability to tie the 400vdc busses together. That way, the drives can share PDMs (brake chopper/resistor modules). The drive pictured has a PDM installed, but some others don't. All the cabinets have mounting provisions for PDMs, so it's an easy add if we need one for a particular effect. Anderson Power Products have a new connector out that's rated for 600v @ 20A. That's a DC rating, which is pretty unique.

What I don't have pictures of (yet) is the eight-channel power distro that runs these cabinets. The distro handles sequenced power-up / down, 24vdc supply to the servo "brains" and E-stop duties. I will post pictures of the distro when I can pull it out of the rack and open it up. We want to add some features and tweak the timing of the power-up sequence in the PLC.

-rpoet

back.jpg front1.jpg left side.jpg right side.jpg top.jpg

Albert,

Now that you have left it in after the remodel, there is no reason that the "solenoids" (relays) cannot be replaced with any number of off-the-shelf relays. This thing is so simple that repairing it can be done forever. The question is does it make sense to keep fixing it to have a novelty in the house?

Looking at your other pictures, the GE magazine ad even calls the control box a "Plug-in relay box". This entire box could easily be rebuilt by any competent electrician, with newer better relays. There are many modern terminal-block relays that have the plug-in powered bus feature. Apparently the control switch was nothing more than a rotary stepping switch that connected the On/Off pushbuttons to each set of relay coils in turn. Again this type of rotary switch is still available, although maybe not the exact model.

Last edited:
Actually, those pictures aren't my house (fortunately!), but I am working my own PLC-controlled system using the GE relays. Surprisingly, that type of relay is still made by GE and at least two competitors, and is the foundation for those companies' sophisticated lighting control systems aimed at non-residential markets. The relays (GE's current model is RR-9) are actually quite good for that application: they're split-coil mechanically-held latching relays so the coils don't need to be energized continuously, and they retain their state in the event of a power failure. Their contacts have essentially the same ratings as a 20-amp toggle switch - including a full tungsten rating (hard to find in modern relays) - and they have an isolated pilot contact for status monitoring.

I realize I'm getting off-topic here, so I'll start a separate thread with more details.

Last edited:
How about a 1950s-60s home lighting remote-control installation, which has, shall we say, wire-management issues?

No kidding! I worked on one of these ages ago. And it was a mess.

It had the "plug in" relay box and not the gutter type of your first photos. The switches were the same as the one in the advertisement above the "plug in" photo (your last photo link to the advertisement shot).

They worked well, but you had to be choosy as to who you let work on it. :)

i was wondering if this thread is for nice control panel builds, or if it means messy old installs like that home automation stuff you talk of. because if that is the case ive got a nice old relaylogic WTP control panel that i just replaced with a controllogix in a WTP upgrade that i could take a nice photo of. the best part is that when then turned it into a pumping station, getting its water from a nearby upgraded wtp, whomever did the upgrade therem just pulled relays out as a form of isolation. lmao

Here's a little extruder control panel I threw together a few months back. Customer's design. They usually build these themselves, but they were behind schedule, so they asked me to build it. Predrilled backpanel saved a bit of time, but I had to put all the cutouts in the enclosure. Start to finish took a little over 6 hours. I'm not a fan of rush jobs like this... :rolleyes:

🍻

-Eric

extsm.jpg

6 hours! Damn, thats a 2.5 day day job with a packet of cigarettes and half a tin of coffee in my world!
Well done, looks clean.

6 hours!! I agree with Hjtrbo.
When we need to make lots of cutouts, we send the panels to a shop nearby were they drill all the holes with a laser cutting machine.

Thank you Albert for your comment.

QE 1.jpg

6 hours! Damn, thats a 2.5 day day job with a packet of cigarettes and half a tin of coffee in my world!
The design was already done, so there was no thinking required. Thinking is the time-consuming part... :ROFLMAO:

The worst part of this job was the fact that most of the connections were from components mounted on the left wall of the enclosure, to components mounted on the right wall of the enclosure. The wiring duct was just a path from side to side. Therefore, I had to wire the last 75% of it with the panel already installed in the enclosure. No elbow room... :mad:

🍻

-Eric