Studio 5000 showing serial instructions not allowed

P-Nasty

Hello everyone,

I'm starting a program for a CompactLogix 5380 series PLC for an upcoming build. I need to send and receive ASCII strings to/from a serial device.

I have selected a 5069-L306ER controller, and I'll be adding 5069-SERIAL. I don't physically have any of these things yet.

5069-L306ER is listed in the CompactLogix 5380 block of compatible controllers with a 5069-SERIAL on page 10 of the 5069-SERIAL user manual located here: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/5069-um003_-en-p.pdf

So far, I've written a subroutine for sending/receiving ASCII strings, but on the 3 rungs using ASCII string commands, I have an error in Studio 5000. The 3 errors are "<ASCII COMMAND>: Invalid instruction reference. Serial port instructions not allowed for this controller type." with the ascii commands being ABL, ARL, and AWA.

I have added the 5069-SERIAL to the backplane of the PLC in the controller organizer and set it up.

When I click on the error message, the error message window says "verifying program connections" and the error remains the next time I verify the controller.

Right now I'm hoping that when I physically have the PLC and module connected, this problem will go away. However, hoping the problem will fix itself seems like a terrible plan.

Has anyone else experienced this error?

Will it fix itself?

Am I missing an important step?

Thanks ahead of time!

This module doesn't use those commands. Those are only for built-in serial ports on the CPU. There is sample code in the manual.

Thanks.

It looks like I got a bit ahead of myself when I saw there was a manual just for ASCII strings, so I never looked through the 5069-SERIAL manual for how to do it.