Data Logging using PL7 Junior and Magelis HMI Screen

talldude42

Hello all. First post on the site and have a question about data logging.

I am using Modicon Telemecanique pl7 Junior Plc with Schneider Electric Magelis HMI STO series 200x80 touchscreen. What i need to be able to do is after say 10sec of a press sitting idle, start and record the amount of time the machine is idle for. once any part of the machine is active the timer stops but records that time and displays it on the screen when selected. anytime the machine sits idle after that it would be added to the time. once the day is over, that saved data would be deleted either manually or at a predetermiined amount of time.

I think i have an idea of how to do it but not sure if the timers on the pl7 program work in the manner of a stop watch in which you can see time elapsing. for what we use the timers for now is to either delay the action of an output or the duration of the output.

Thank you in advance for any input!!

Well I'm pretty sure I can't use the timers in the pl7 program like a stop watch. Which means I will have to trigger in the plc and have to have it start a clock on the HMI screen? Any takers?

do your own timer on plc program

Use input with one shot from 100ms pulse (%S5), enable add block with these and count up to double integer address.

on end of day, move counted value to different %MD address and zero your %MD address (counter) automatically or manually.

input 100ms_pls --------
-| |-------| |---------|en |
| |
%MDx -| add |---%MDx
1 -| |
--------

p.s It is maybe good also to check that counter/timer don't go to negated numbers (counter/%MD overflows), for inhibiting this you can check before adding that %MD is below certain value and enable adding only if it is.

Last edited:
So how will this look on the hmi? Will it count every 100ms? Now that you suggested the % Sx I noticed the have a few others that pulse at 1s and 1 min. Where is the enable add block located?

On pl7 program you can use operate block instead of add block.
To opertate block write this : %MWx:=%MWx+1. (or MDx:=MDx+1 if you wan't use double integer variable)
Call operate block with rising edge of time pulse with your machine idle bit.

On HMI you need add this new md or mw address to communication and add it somewhere on the sreen. MWx address will incremet by 1 on 100ms, 1s etc.. intervals on plc when machine is idle (So on HMI you see time counting.)