Control Panel Pictures

Wow Archie, that impresses me.

You print out the entire layout diagram, and stick it to the mounting plate before mounting the components.
And you get extra terminal labels as an added bonus.
Must take some effort to achieve.

You print out the entire layout diagram, and stick it to the mounting plate before mounting the components.
And you get extra terminal labels as an added bonus.
Must take some effort to achieve.
It takes a little more time up front, but saves several hours during build. No need to measure for hole locations or lines to keep things straight. Once the wire tray and DIN rail are cut to size, the tape measure is put away and assembly goes fast. About 80% is even wired without a schematic.

At my old job, we used to print the layout full size but only used it to drill all the holes for mounting. Did not mount over the paper. That would get messy!

You mount the components over the paper? Is it paper? Do you leave it in or trim it away as you go?
It's adhesive backed vinyl applied to the panel and stays on there permanently. It is not only used for component placement, but contains sizes, labels, wire numbers, etc. It also helps in drilling because it prevents the drill bit from walking.

Archie

What do you do the layout with color like that in autocad?

Is it a PITA to install on the backplate and keep the air pockets out,etc.
I tried it in AutoCAD, but did not like the way it handled solid colors, so I imported the CAD components into Adobe Illustrator.

I won't even attempt to apply a label that large myself. I have a local sign shop that is very good with printing and application. If it gets air bubbles or stretched, then all of the locations can be off.

Here is a smaller one that is detailed out much more in Illustrator. This size can be fairly easily applied.

WasherPanel.jpg

Application of large decals such as what Archie is doing isn't tremendously difficult.

Liberally wet down the surface with water and a drop or two of dish soap, peel decal, lay the adhesive side down on the water and start squeegeeing from the center.

With that said, if you don't work around the decal evenly, you can end up with a bad mess pretty quick.

Congratulations and Thanks to CaseyK.

Hats off to our good old buddy Casey K, who came up with the idea of posting control panel pictures back in 2004. Now many years and hundreds of useful pictures later, this thread is still rocking along with no signs of running out of new material!

Great job, Casey. I hope that every time you have to leave here, that you always manage to find your way back home.
(y) (y) (y) (y) :) (y) :) :site:

It's adhesive backed vinyl applied to the panel and stays on there permanently. It is not only used for component placement, but contains sizes, labels, wire numbers, etc. It also helps in drilling because it prevents the drill bit from walking.

I think this is a brilliant idea. What do you do when you need to add kit to a panel?

R

A couple pictures from resent system. This panel is connected to our data acquisition and control system. The little Keyence PLC is only to act as a watchdog safety system. The control system toggles a DO on/off at 2hz. If the keyence does not see a change for 3 secs, it starts shutting down relays. The relays remove power from DO and AOs.

The customers electrician likes to get carried away with extra wires.

IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg