USB Profibus

Circiter

Hi y'all

I've ordered a new notebook, but without RS232 connection, now I can't find any straight awnser to what I need to be able to connect with profibus.

Do I need a adapter like siemens has, or is it enough with an USB - Serial RS232 cable?

Hi y'all
Do I need a adapter like siemens has, or is it enough with an USB - Serial RS232 cable?
It is definitively not possible to connect a PC with USB-RS232C converter to Profibus.
Do you need to communicate to a PLC? Or do you need to parametrize field devices?

I need to communicate with one.

I have a simatic field PG atm so it's just plugging a profibus cable in..

but that'll change, I will only have USB

One of our members sells a non-Siemens adapter for a fraction of the Siemens cost. I have bought one and used it with S7-300's and 400's, without any issues.
I'm not sure about shipping to Belgium, but contact him and see.

https://www.plccable.com/siemens-af...-plc-s7-usb-to-mpi-profibus-dp-ppi-32-64-bit/

Edit:
They do ship your way:
"We can ship just about anywhere in the world, for shipping cost add the items to your cart and proceed to checkout, there you can calculate your shipping cost, international is done via UPS and takes just a few days to most places."

Last edited:
There is an available USB to MPI converter in the market. If your profibus has an open connector, you can simply plug the MPI cable and use the driver. That is how we communicate with the plc having a profibus.

It is definitively not possible to connect a PC with USB-RS232C converter to Profibus.
Do you need to communicate to a PLC? Or do you need to parametrize field devices?

To build on this, Profibus is RS485, not RS232, in addition to being a specific protocol.

Definitely agree with the others that you need a specific interface.

FYI, back in the day. Siemens did sell a RS232 to Profibus/MPI adapter. Extremely expensive. Over 1,000 US dollars.

At one of the companies I worked for, we had a "special" small docking station with a real serial port, so we could use the converter when needed, on our non serial port laptops.

Last edited: