Ot Safe light fixture for inspection

Lancie1 said:
I agree, the relatively new fluorescent High-Bay fixtures have high intensity lamps that provide as much light as the old 400 watt high bay metal halide fixtures. I would think that some fluorescent high-bay fixtures would be an ideal solution for this lighting problem.

Or a properly designed CFL (Compact Fluorescent) system. Notice the emphasis on properly designed Talk with you lighting distributors -- they have software that can help design what you need to avoid shadows. Proper lighting doesn't happen accidentally!

2004sk4 said:
The light is mounted 2 inches below the product above a inspector catwalk.
2004sk4,

Does this represent what you have?
floresentfixture.JPG

Ahhh now THAT drawing sheds a lot of light on the problem.

If the drawing is accurate it is no wonder you had a fire. Combustible material above an unshielded light fixture??

For sure I would initiate a design change. At the minimum I would put a sheet of glass between fixture(s) and the conveyer underside.

The idea of Compact fluorescant lamps in the jelly jar enclosures seems like a good idea also. It will take a few of course to get the desired illumination, you can get them at 55W (equivalent to 220 watt incandescant), you will have to ensure you get good color quality, and you should check temperature of the exposed surfaces to keep the fire marshall happy. Surprised he has not found this one so far.

Dan Bentler

leitmotif said:
Ahhh now THAT drawing sheds a lot of light on the problem.

Dan,

I don't know if the drawing I made is accurate. I'm trying to find out from 2004sk4 if it is. When this thread first started I made some assumtions that made it hard for me to figure what the original posters real problem is. On the lighter side this next drawing shows some of the problems where I work
floresentdistraction.JPG

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't know if that is a distraction. QC guy is just doing what a QC guy does - evaluating what he sees.

Now if that was some place where I work(ed) and that was some idiot blathering about 5S or wringing hands about some audit THAT is distraction.

Dan Bentler

picture of area

Attached is a picture of were i am needing the updated fixture. This machine is making 2 paths at once and going over and under many rollers before it gets to the folders. The one path is going over the light. Notice in the far right jute is being trimmed off which when wrapped around the roller gets the lighting fixture damaged. This is the reason i would like a fixture that would cover roughly 13 ft(product width). The reason i was said 12 ft is I thought it would be easier to find a 12 ft enclose fixture.

Sorry about the picture. It was taken with a cell phone

inspection-area1.JPG

Last edited:
2004sk4 said:
Attached is a picture of were i am needing the updated fixture.

Ok now it's easier to understand. I'm re posting your picture with two circles drawn on it. Is the red circle the zone where the gap between fixtures shows up as a shaddow? What is in the yellow circle? So this appears to be a tunnel framed by product. Question : Is there 10.75" inches of room to replace your fixture where I drew the dimensions in green?
2004sk4catwalkcirquets.jpg

If there is then I may have a solution for you.

The current lighting has no gaps in it. The enclosed fixture was what i referring to having a gap in lighting because of the extra housing. The yellow circle is a light from the next machine down. If i space the light down then i would have the 10.75 you have asked about. The current light is mounted to a 2x4 tubing that is part of the machine.

Sorry about the poor quality of the picture. It was from a razor phone.

2004sk4,

This may not work because of the height thing (I don't know how much you need to drop down to get 10.75 inches and still meet your 6 inch height max).

I'm "borrowing" Ron's concept of overlapping fixtures. Also using vandalproof single tube fixtures. The vandal proof fixtures are fairly robust and can take some punishment. I used grainger #'s 5YB13 and 3FB62. They are 5.38" wide and 4.5" tall. This is just a suggestion, I'm sure others are availible.
rsdoran said:
You can always mount 3 4ft, 2 6/8ft or whatever in an overlapping pattern and there will be no light gaps. Instead of inline do something like this -------________-------- with the ends not butted but side by side.
My plan was to use 2 two foot fixtures and 6 four foot fixtures, something like this.

..twofoot....fourfoot....fourfoot....fourfoot.....
.....fourfoot....fourfoot....fourfoot....twofoot..

The periods are there just for spacing and the fixtures would be butted up. As you already know there is a sizeable gap between bulbs when done this way. Hence the single tube fixtures side by side with an alternating two footer to make the bulbs overlap.

Last edited:
Probably be best if you talk to local suppliers and see if they have a lighting expert or can bring in an expert from a lighting company.

With the confined space I might consider mounting rigid conduit with either hazardous or enclosed fixtures and possibly compact flourescent bulbs.

It depends on the needs, this method may allow you to mount numerous lights to fill in the blind areas, drop lights lower if necessary, and/or angle the lights to highlight areas if needed.

If you have not thought about W.W. Grainger as a supplier, may be a good idea.