Kinetix 5700 Configuration Problems

rwatson

I have a setup where a ControlLogix 1756-L81E is connected to a rack of Kinetix 5700 drives (2198-P070 Bus Supply, 2x2198-D057-ERS3 dual axis drives). I have connected up 1 Rockwell MPM-B2153F-M motor to the second axis of the second drive.

I haven't used Kinetix Drives in a long time and have never set them up from scratch before.

I have set my IP addresses and can browse to the drive modules. They are connected in a linear topology with the CPU at one end and my laptop on the other. The STO inputs have been connected and it shows up on the drive as both being OK. The CPU is set as the Time sync master.

When power is turned on, the drives start in "STANDBY", then change to "CONFIGURING" state and don't ever seem out of this state. The MOD lamp flashes green.

My CIP axis shows a fault icon and when I look at the axis parameters, I see a Config Fault, and ConfigUpdateInProcess in my axis status. I also see a Module Connection Fault. When I look at my attribute error code, I see 16#000c and 16#0585 for my Attribute Error ID. I have been unsuccessful in finding anything that can tell me what these actually mean.

If I browse to my Module Info for the drive and try to reset it, I get a message saying that it was unable to perform the service due to current module mode. When I look at my axis properties, I see that the axis state is faulted and the safety state is unknown (No motion connection).

I noticed that my network mode is set to DLR even though I have a linear configuration and there doesn't appear to be any way to change it.

I feel like I am missing some simple part of the process here, but I don't really know where else to look. I am also unsure about the encoder connection, as the cable was made up as opposed to being the pre-made one from Rockwell. Could this cause these kind of problems?

Any advice for things to check to get this back on track would be greatly appreciated.

I have a setup where a ControlLogix 1756-L81E is connected to a rack of Kinetix 5700 drives (2198-P070 Bus Supply, 2x2198-D057-ERS3 dual axis drives). I have connected up 1 Rockwell MPM-B2153F-M motor to the second axis of the second drive.

I haven't used Kinetix Drives in a long time and have never set them up from scratch before.

I have set my IP addresses and can browse to the drive modules. They are connected in a linear topology with the CPU at one end and my laptop on the other. The STO inputs have been connected and it shows up on the drive as both being OK. The CPU is set as the Time sync master.

When power is turned on, the drives start in "STANDBY", then change to "CONFIGURING" state and don't ever seem out of this state. The MOD lamp flashes green.

My CIP axis shows a fault icon and when I look at the axis parameters, I see a Config Fault, and ConfigUpdateInProcess in my axis status. I also see a Module Connection Fault. When I look at my attribute error code, I see 16#000c and 16#0585 for my Attribute Error ID. I have been unsuccessful in finding anything that can tell me what these actually mean.

If I browse to my Module Info for the drive and try to reset it, I get a message saying that it was unable to perform the service due to current module mode. When I look at my axis properties, I see that the axis state is faulted and the safety state is unknown (No motion connection).

I noticed that my network mode is set to DLR even though I have a linear configuration and there doesn't appear to be any way to change it.

I feel like I am missing some simple part of the process here, but I don't really know where else to look. I am also unsure about the encoder connection, as the cable was made up as opposed to being the pre-made one from Rockwell. Could this cause these kind of problems?

Any advice for things to check to get this back on track would be greatly appreciated.

I am assuming that your controller is running the latest firmware revision (or at least Studio). That being said, have you updated the firmware of the drives?

Secondly, the DLR comment you made makes me suspecious of the network configuration. How come you can't change it to a non-DLR setting?

Next, I would try to clear the faults via local servo commands; are you able to issue those?

Can you post a screenshot of where you're seeing those faults?

Vlad

I'm not at work any more, so I will have to wait until Monday to get a screenshot.

The drives are running firmware 11.003 which I believe is the latest version. Studio V32. I initially had the drives in a DLR configuration one an ENT2R module, but when I couldn't get them to work, I connected them directly to the CPU, thinking that I would tackle the drives first and make sure that they were configured ok and then get the DLR up and running after that. When I moved them, I just selected the drives and then dragged them onto the CPU ethernet interface. I'm thinking it might have been a better idea to delete them and then create new ones instead.

On the subject of DLR, the problem that I was having was that I couldn't create my axis because it said that I didn't have a time sync master or something like that. I couldn't see how to configure my ENT2R module as a time sync master, but I had my CPU set as one. I am sure there is something straight forward that I was missing there, but I couldn't figure it out, which is why I decided to plug the drives directly into the CPU module.

I tried entering the MAFR command directly, but it didn't make a difference.

Last edited: