GE Fanuc Series 90-30

Killercal

Has anyone worked with on of these PLC's?

If so, how do I connect to one? What software do I need? What cable do I need?

I'm looking online for a manual, but can't seem to find one I can download.

Thanks,

Scott

There are three possibilities for the software. The oldest, called Logicmaster 90 is a DOS application and will need to run under a 32-bit operating system in order for the communications driver to work. The second generation software was called VersaPro. The last was called Proficy Machine Edition. When Emerson took over the product line, they changed the name to PAC Machine Edition. In general, newer software can extract programs from the PLC that were created with the older software. There will be no rung comments of variable descriptions stored in the PLC, only the ladder logic.
The options for communications depend on the CPU model. All 90-30s can communicate through the 15-pin port on the power supply module in the CPU rack. That port is RS485, so you will need a RS232/RS485 converter if you have a computer with a serial port. Some CPU models have serial ports. There is a also a serial port module that occupies one of the I/O slots. Some CPU models have ethernet ports.
In response to your PM, I can send you Logicmaster, but if the PLC was programmed using VersaPro or Machine Edition, that won't be of any use. If your customer has any backups of the program, the list of files in the backup will give an indication of which software created them.

Ok, I've heard back from the customer. They have the software on a laptop (Versa Pro) and have the programming cable. They just don't know how to use it. The CPU is a 352.

I think they side they need to download the program to the PLC because it lost it's memory? Is the software easy to learn? Are there any tutorials on how to download a program?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

VersaPro dates back to around Windows 95, perhaps as late as Windows 98. I have used it successfully on a Windows 7 machine. Ease of use is in the eye of the beholder. I personally would not consider it to be intuitive. Unfortunately, setting up communications is one of the least intuitive things about it. It has decent help files if you know the right keywords to use when searching.
Once you have established communications there are a couple of ways to check for a blank memory, short of an upload from the PLC. The first is to check the CPU fault tables for a "Low Battery" fault. The second is to look under the "Status" menu for the program name. When there is no program due to lack of battery backup, the program name will revert to "HHP".
GE Fanuc considered a download to be a transfer from the PC to the PLC, and an upload to be a transfer from PLC to PC.