ControlLogix controller upgrade

TXrookie

Hello all,
We have a machine that has a 1756-L55 controller revision 10.24. In your opinion at what point is it time to upgrade a controller after it has been discontinued? What sort of "engineering replacement" has to take place in order to upgrade to a 5570 controller?

You can upgrade to an 5570 up to version 23 without any problems from my experience. Starting at version 24 you may have problems with GSV instructions for module status.

I would buy a new processor now. Make sure you have the software version to match the controller firmware that you will need to download from Rockwell.

If using V20
Change the offline project to version 20. Flash the new controller to version 20. Download the project to the controller. Plan a shutdown and install.

There are a handful of compatibility issues you might need to look out for. The module status entries recently mentioned, of course, and maybe certain motion control modules or a reformat of the Wall Clock Time object might affect your project. The modern controllers don't have a serial port.

But in general, just a good archive copy of the *.ACD project file is what you need. A 1756-L71 controller will do virtually everything that a 1756-L55 did, and fit into the same chassis.

In many cases, the driver for upgrades of ControlLogix has been the obsolescence of the Windows OS that supported the RSLogix editing software !

I certainly wouldn't be in a hurry to update. If the system is working then I wouldn't bother. But, definitely have a replacement ready to go. Make sure if you can that it has already been updated to whatever firmware version you want to use. That will help minimize switchover time when it comes time to swap them.

The nice thing is that the new controllers are virtually drop in compatible. As mentioned, there are lots of new features, but there are a few changes too.

If your application requires a serial (RS-232) port then I would look at getting a 1756-L61/62/63 as they also have serial ports. If you were only using the serial port to connect your computer then go for the L71/72/73 instead. The USB port is a lot easier to connect via.

The L6x controllers are good up through v20 where the L7x controllers are still being updated and supported through v30 as of today. But likely for some time yet.

There is a new L8x controller out now too. I wouldn't bother with that.

OG

We do have a spare in stock, but are looking into what future options are realistic.

The serial port is being used on the current controller to communicate with a few red lion G306's, so the comms to those devices should be flexible.

I will have to look into the GSV instruction. We have only had RS500 in this plant and when this machine came in it was our first experience with the 5000 software. To say we are inexperienced would be a compliment.

Thank you for your input gentlemen!

Hi Guys,
I'm looking to Upgrade from L61 - L71 as per clients instructions. The problems is the serial port is in use communicating to field devices. Can someone provide me with a work around as the L71 does not have a Serial port. The use of the L71 is non negotiable unfortunately, what are my options/procedure in making this a successful migration?

Hi Guys,
I'm looking to Upgrade from L61 - L71 as per clients instructions. The problems is the serial port is in use communicating to field devices. Can someone provide me with a work around as the L71 does not have a Serial port. The use of the L71 is non negotiable unfortunately, what are my options/procedure in making this a successful migration?

Hi Guys,

1734-232ASC if you have any point IO in the system. Prosoft makes a 1756 Serial module MVI56-DFCM.

Hi Robert,
Thank you for the reply. Exactly! We currently don’t have any point IO in the system however I was thinking of adding a RIO rack with a 1734-AENT comma module and a 1734-233ASC serial card.
I’m just not sure how I would need to proceed with setting up the comms….

Depends also on the field devices. In the OP's case, the Red Lion HMIs that were on the serial port also support Ethernet so it was an easy mod without adding hardware.

If you need to add the serial, use the FLEX 5000, not the point IO.
The module is the 5094-SERIAL. The communicator is the 5094-AENTR.
The point IO is going to be replaced with POINT 5000 IO in the very near future, and point IO requires a download to add (cannot be added online).

If you need to add the serial, use the FLEX 5000, not the point IO.
The module is the 5094-SERIAL. The communicator is the 5094-AENTR.
The point IO is going to be replaced with POINT 5000 IO in the very near future, and point IO requires a download to add (cannot be added online).
Will the Flex 5000 work with the L7x? I'm pretty sure the 5069 IO will not. Their client insists on an -L71.

As new as I am to the space of controls engineering, I can say with confidence that upgrading is a double edged sword. On the one hand, the industry of PLC manufacturers is pretty wild where they insist the new and best versions should always be supported and their programming software always needs to be updated, yadda yadda yadda, but on the other, there's obvious improvements in the form of features previously not implemented that can help protect your PLC and machine it's driving. I saw a problem the other day where we were called into a plant whose PLC just shorted because of a thunderstorm (or at least that was the most credible reason for the shut down) and because of a lack of availability due to the discontinued status of the device, we had to buy the same model for a lot of money that could have gone towards the newer models that would have lasted for another decade with better safety features protecting operators, the PLC, and the machine for roughly the same price.

In short, it's a case by case thing, and I wish you all the best in figuring out how to best replace the PLC you're looking to replace