Ab 5069-aentr

desertsurf520

Lifetime Supporting Member
So, a customer of mine bought this 5069-AENTR which is basically remote IO. However, reading the manual it says it loses its IP address when it is powered off. I wonder if there is a work-around for this. I think that is pretty strange. The customer doesn't have a laptop with BOOTP or the other ethernet software. It would be very inconvenient if they lost power and could take hours or days to get it back running again.

Maybe I am missing something. . . .

>reading the manual it says it loses its IP address when it is powered off.

Only if you set it for BOOTP/DHCP. That is the default setting, and is normal desired operation for a BOOTP/DHCP based system.

The ordinary ways to configure the module are to use the rotary switches (when you are using the common private 192.168.1.x subnet) or to configure it using RSLinx Classic, then disable BOOTP/DHCP.

The 5069 adapters are more complex than other older products, in part because of their security features. The single-port -AENTR has some different features (Protected Mode) than the -AEN2TR (SD Card support).

Anyone who is maintaining RA products with Ethernet ports should have at least the free EtherNet/IP Address Commissioning Tool (the modern version of the BOOTP/DHCP Utility) and RSLinx Classic Lite.

The manual likely says that it loses its IP address when power cycled if BOOTP is enabled, which would be true of anything.

Edit: It apparently took me way too long to type that out :)

Page 27 of the User Manual, the first page of Chapter 3 "Connect to the EtherNet/IP Network", describes the default BOOTP/DHCP functionality of the module.

When the adapter is in the out-of-the-box state, [...]

The adapter is configured so that you must set the IP address each time that power is cycled.

You can change the adapter configuration so that you are not required to set an IP address each time that power is cycled.

Almost all industrial automation devices that support BOOT/DHCP work this way. Some devices fall back to a factory default IP address or an AIPA automatic address if BOOTP/DHCP fails, but I'm not aware of any A-B devices that do so.

Fortunately the configuration is straightforward and the tools are free.

… and then there’s DHCP leases (and reservations!) which may lend the impression that a device keeps its IP address. That nuance aside, everyone is right about a static IP setting sticking through power cycles.

The network is 192.168.12.xxx. I've never had to use BootP before until this little project. Sounds like Ill need to get a managed switch to put it on the same network while using the rotary switches.... Obviously networking is not my strong suit.... I just want to set it up so that it doesn't need to be reconfigured after power loss.

You should be able to use RSLinx Classic (free) to disable BOOTP after setting the IP address. Right-click the module and select 'Module Configuration', then make sure 'Manually configure IP settings' is selected rather than 'Obtain IP settings automatically via BOOTP/DHCP'

This is described in Allen-Bradley's Ethernet/IP Network Devices user manual.

A few general suggestions when using AB's BootP tool.
1) Connect the device straight to a wired network port on your PC.
2) Configure that network port with a static IP address in the subnet you want the device to end up with.
3) In Windows' network adapter settings, disable all other network adapters.
4) Inside BootP, go to the Tools -> Select Network Interface and select the adapter your device is connected to.
5) A majority of the time, in my experience, disabling BOOTP/DHCP from within the BootP tool doesn't work. Sometimes it works after multiple tries, but my success rate with it is less than 50%. When the option is there in RSLinx Classic, it works, so that's what I do if BootP fails to disable it before cycling power after assigning an IP address. Some devices (like an old SLC 5/05) won't present that option in RSLinx but it can be set from within the programming software (RSLogix 500 in this case).

We have been using the Flex 5000 at the plants I work at for the last couple years (Basically as soon as it came out) and really like it. We have had no issues. We are using the rotary dials in the field to set the IP, but on the bench we use static IPs and have not had any issues. As stated by others, the module will only loose the IP when configured with BOOTP/DHCP which is true of any device (not just rockwell hardware).

Flex 5000 is probably the best style of rack IO they offer. You can hot swap modules from the middle of the chassis without interrupting the others and the chassis itself is variably sized.

Ok. So, I finally got it and disabled BootP. It was weird though because when I set the address with the Rockwell Ethernet/IP commissioning tool. Both BootP and the commissioning tool didn't work very well but I kept trying to ping it and eventually it stuck.

Anyways. Im setting up this 5069 AENTR with my compactlogix controller to setup in the lab first so I can test. I've never used the 5069 but it seems thats its not even a processor but just remote I/O. I think all the configuration happens in the master controller but when I go to add it to my project, there's not a 5069 AENTR to add. I tried to see if it would recognize the controller online to add it but that didn't work either... I get a few steps and then hit a wall.

To my understanding, the 5069 AENTR is only supported by the newest family of CompactLogix PLCs. The 1769 won't work. What model of CompactLogix and what version of software are you using?
Also, I've found AB's Bootp utility to be clunky and unreliable at best. I've been using one from Phoenix Contact called IPAssign that's been really solid. I can't find the download on their website any more, though.