AS-interface actuators.

Marcktony

Hello world!

The company I started working for has these valves that they ordered years ago as spares. now we have to add couple valves on another machine, but they are AS-interface actuators.

we have this valves:
brand: SPX
model: CU41 plus T

My question is if there is a way to use them as a regular actuators, (24vdc = ON and 0vdc = OFF) if there is a module I can get or any special wiring modification that we can do to get this valves to work as a regular 24vdc valves. these valves will be controlled with a AB PLC (module 1734-OB4E)
I don't want to buy the AS interface gateway and the whole setup. because I want to find the cheapest option (new regular 24vdc valves or new SAi setup) or the cheapest is the get the actual ASi valves work as a regular actuators.

thanks guys

Used hundreds of these on a massive ASI controlled system, there is a direct connect head system that fits on the valve called e CU4 D4 IECE but never used them the only reason I know this as our buyer ordered some ASI heads as spares & they were delivered wrong so at least you could buy different control heads & replace them (I think) I'm not sure if the actual solenoids & sensors are 24v on the ASI heads but the ASI system is about 30v so I expect they could be so it may be possible to connect the sensors/solenoids direct via 24v dc inputs/outputs on the PLC, I would check what the actual voltage is on the sensors/solenoids when active if they are 24v then no problem just wire the sensors/solenoids into a connector block, I do remember one of our engineers did something similar when a valve failed on a non ASI system but used an ASI valve, I have no idea if he somehow replaced the sensors/solenoid or just wired direct.

Used hundreds of these on a massive ASI controlled system, there is a direct connect head system that fits on the valve called e CU4 D4 IECE but never used them the only reason I know this as our buyer ordered some ASI heads as spares & they were delivered wrong so at least you could buy different control heads & replace them (I think) I'm not sure if the actual solenoids & sensors are 24v on the ASI heads but the ASI system is about 30v so I expect they could be so it may be possible to connect the sensors/solenoids direct via 24v dc inputs/outputs on the PLC, I would check what the actual voltage is on the sensors/solenoids when active if they are 24v then no problem just wire the sensors/solenoids into a connector block, I do remember one of our engineers did something similar when a valve failed on a non ASI system but used an ASI valve, I have no idea if he somehow replaced the sensors/solenoid or just wired direct.
thanks for the information, I don see a CU4 D4 on my valve. what do you mean by wiring directly?

Hi Marcktony, it has been awhile since I have seen these personally to recall, but you in theory could bypass the control board perhaps. Typically these valves have just simple solenoids inside. However as Parky was saying, I think you are better off ordering the correct head, it would be less frustration and/or not damage an otherwise good ASi head.

Also depending on your valve body type, a lot of these heads are interchangeable. I.E. a GEA or Burkert head may do exactly what you want as well. Again depends on the valve.

The black module in the head is what I mean I believe these were once called APV valves the head can be ordered seperately (we used to keep loads in stock) the ASI module is a component black shaped with the sensors built in with adjuster screws to adjust the positions, there is a connector block on the module where the sensors & solenoids connected plus a 2 pin block for the ASI connection, I assume that the Direct connect heads are identicle but instead of ASI 2 wire it will have +V, -V, two sensor wires & a solenoid wire so you connect to these, you could contact the supplier & get the prices for the direct connect head I'm pretty sure these are or were APV See attached pic.
I did not get involved with the guy who apparently used an ASI valve in place of a standard one & it was an assumption that he disconnected the sensors & solenoid from the module & choc blocked the connections I doubt he could have put standard proximities in there because of the physical room & mounting, as I said, I have no idea if the sensors in an ASI head are 24v as I have never tested the actual signals but it seems the engineer did wire them up directly who knows, perhaps power up a head & see if they are. I have now retired so do not have access to a valve head to find out. the last resort would be replace the heads with the direct connect ones.
1713888541153.png

The black module in the head is what I mean I believe these were once called APV valves the head can be ordered seperately (we used to keep loads in stock) the ASI module is a component black shaped with the sensors built in with adjuster screws to adjust the positions, there is a connector block on the module where the sensors & solenoids connected plus a 2 pin block for the ASI connection, I assume that the Direct connect heads are identicle but instead of ASI 2 wire it will have +V, -V, two sensor wires & a solenoid wire so you connect to these, you could contact the supplier & get the prices for the direct connect head I'm pretty sure these are or were APV See attached pic.
I did not get involved with the guy who apparently used an ASI valve in place of a standard one & it was an assumption that he disconnected the sensors & solenoid from the module & choc blocked the connections I doubt he could have put standard proximities in there because of the physical room & mounting, as I said, I have no idea if the sensors in an ASI head are 24v as I have never tested the actual signals but it seems the engineer did wire them up directly who knows, perhaps power up a head & see if they are. I have now retired so do not have access to a valve head to find out. the last resort would be replace the heads with the direct connect ones.
View attachment 69551
thanks, yes. i think i will need to get another head for these valves. i was just wondering if there was a way to use them as a direct valves.

Like I stated, the ASI power is about 25-30 volts DC on the 2 wire bus but never tested the sensors or solenoids perhaps there may be some voltage information on the valves. If you have a system with ASI on it already perhaps take a meter & see what the sensors are giving out & the voltage driving the solenoid.