controllogix PLC upgrade from L72 to L84ES causes issues with PV600 HMIs

EffSee

Hello, I've recently tried to upgrade my PLC controller from a L72 to L84ES and everything seemed to work, all buttons and screens as far functionality on my PV600s HMIs, but my alarm banners would not. it displays READ ERROR IP: (address):path 1 0: TAG: LC1_HMI_FaultDisplay which is my tag name. i have 6 PV600s in this cell and i checked the tag properties. It is pointing to the correct Node and Ip. the tag is a DINT (controller scope) in PLC. what am i missing here? So i reverted back to the Original L72 processor and without doing anything it all works like it should. i didnt change anything in PV or PLC, but i need to upgrade this as im starting to run low on memory , hence the reason for upgrade. Id really appreciate any help with this!

The likely difference is the CIP Path. With a controller that has a separate Ethernet module, the end of the CIP Path is "1, s" where s is the Slot number of the controller.

The 1756-L8x with onboard Ethernet are the endpoint of the CIP path themselves, so the CIP Path ends with an IP address if the connection is over Ethernet to the built-in port.

This should be able to be fixed by redefining the RSLinx Enterprise path to the controller in the FactoryTalk View application.

If you're still using the former Ethernet module as your connection to the PanelView Plus terminals, then the issue might be support for the new controller platform. Start by figuring out the runtime firmware version of the terminals.

Hello and thanks for replying! So i was trying to reserve that port on the controller for a servo drive as ive been seeing issues with it having a node fault 007 clock sync major fault error on the servo controller display. is this possible? my plan was to run the servo controller directly into the PLC and the rest of I/O through the EN2bt card.

Forgot to mention that im running a PV 600 firmware V04.43 (not PVP) and Revision 33 on the Controllogix

Oh, OK, thank you for those clarifications.

So this is a "PanelView Standard", the ones with the black bezels that go back to the mid-90's. But you have version 4.43 firmware, which is the one of the most modern versions, and should support ControlLogix.

READ ERROR IP: (address)path 1 0: TAG: LC1_HMI_FaultDisplay

And you've been clear that the tag type (DINT) and the tag scope (Controller) have not changed between the -L72 and the -L84ES controllers.

Is it just that one tag that appears to create an error, or are there numerous errors ?

Check the new application very carefully to be sure that tag didn't accidentally get set to "No External Access". I've had that happen just because of my fat fingers in the past.

PanelView Standard support for ControlLogix was patchy and piecemeal in the mid-2000's and I don't know if RA even tests the old terminals against modern ControlLogix firmware.

I checked the Knowledgebase and confirmed that support for 32-bit DINT tags was added in v4.20 of the PV Standard firmware.

I didn't find anything suggesting that v33 or -L8x won't work similar to older firmware with PanelView Standard, and the ControlLogix 5580 migration guide mentions PV5000 and PV+, but nothing about PanelView Standard.

Ok i see. yeah, as far as i could tell, there were no other errors other than the alarm banner. Its just weird that i swap back without changing anything and all is good. If i have to changeout all of these HMIs to PVP, as my "spidey senses" were telling me when i first saw this happen, then that would be a project. Again, i didn't see any other issues besides that. i will test one out with a new PVP7 and see what happens. More to come.

OK, so that tag is an Alarm tag. Can you describe how it is used (bitwise, LSB, Analog, etc) ?

This may be something specific about the Alarm comms subsystem and support for DINT datatypes in the 5580.

Would you be willing to set up a test and intercept the PanelView's traffic with Wireshark ?

in the PLC code it is an indexed array that is then with MOV instruction moved into the dint LC1_HMI_FaultDisplay to display the value of alarm triggered. i could try the wireshark intercept only how would i set that up? ive only used wireshark to find IPs that are unkown on a network.

If the PanelView 600 is connected to a managed switch that can do "port mirroring", then you're halfway there. You will set up to mirror the PanelView's port to an unused port, then plug in your PC with Wireshark configured to capture on your PC's Ethernet port.

Then you can filter the captured data with something like "ip.addr == 192.168.0.20" (or whatever the IP of the PanelView is) that will show traffic in both directions for that device, and filter out broadcast and multicast traffic.

What I'm hoping to find is a useful CIP error message in the reply from the ControlLogix.

If this were my system I would build a test application in PanelBuilder32, and experiment with a completely different DINT tag as an Alarm trigger, and also experiment with using an array of INT tags.

While I've mostly seen this in PanelView Plus, another thing you might focus on is any unused tags that were deleted when you migrated from L72 to L84ES. Sometimes when a block of tags is attempted to be read, the error message cites the start or end tag in the optimized block, not the one in the middle that is the source of the error.

Hi EffSee. I'm in the same boat as I have a PV600 and an L81E. However on my test setup nothing works. Granted I only have two tags at the moment. Other than the alarm banner you have had success with the other tags in your HMI? I'd really like to know how you have yours setup. Ken is helping me out so I'm hoping this could actually work. My setup is on a bench so if I could help you test anything let me know. Thanks.