MOVE Instruction in Studio 5000-Problem

akash11132

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All,

I am using 2 MOVE instructions in Studio 5000 logic designer to move 2 different values in the same destination tag N7[190]. Two momentary push buttons from HMI (Panel View Plus 800 terminal) were used to energise the XIC bits. If XIC-1 is pressed, 2 is moved into N7[190]. If XIC-2 is pressed, 4 is moved into N7[190].

Example:
Rung 1 |--]XIC-1[----MOV(Source:2 Destination:N7[190])---|
Rung 2 |--]XIC-2[----MOV(Source:4 Destination:N7[190])---|

I can the see the bits energised(green) when the respective XICs are pressed. But, I am not able to see the changes in the value of N7[190]when the XIC-1 or 2 are pressed. I have attached the screenshot here. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Akash

The move should work
Are you sure that select tank 2 PB is not sticking on make sure the select bits are momentary you could also put one-shot in the line to be sure

Thanks Gary and Mickey for the suggestions. I have tried adding ONS on both rungs, but with no result.

@Mickey I am not getting you sorry.

Yeah they mean if the MOV commands are in a subroutine, does the main routine have a JSR (jump to subroutine) command that calls on the subroutine. If it doesn't the PLC will never even look at your move command.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, there is a JSR which calls this subroutine. I found that there is an I/O module fault(Code16#0204:Connection Request timed out) on 1 DI and 1 DO card, which causes the major fault(Type 3 Code 23:Atleast one connection not established while in RUN mode) in the CPU.

I tried changing the keying option to both 'compatible' and 'exact match' in the module properties. But, I am getting the same error. The firmware I have for this CPU(Compactlogix L33ER) is the latest version-24.11.

Regarding the hardware configuration, I have placed the rack in follwing way: CPU(Slot 0)>DI(Slot 1)>DO(Slot 2)>Power Supply. Any solutions to clear this major fault. Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Akash

IO_Not_RespondingFault.JPG iO_Not_RespondingFault1.JPG iO_Not_RespondingFault2.JPG

Nope. However, End cap missing fault got displayed in 'Minor faults' section of controller properties. Will that be the reason for major fault also?

Btw,I disabled the 'Major Fault Fault on Controller If Connection fails While in Run Mode' option in I/O module properties. The MOVE Function worked fine.

Is N7[190] being written to somewhere else in the program?
Specifically, after the two rungs you posted.

Also, are you actually using an indirect address with a constant as the pointer? Just curious.

Do yourself a favor and open up RSLinx and browse the PLC, What RSLinx sees should match what is in your I/O tree. RSLinx can also determine the Major/Minor firmware numbers, so that it doesn't matter if you have the Compatible / Exact Match box checked or not.

The lack of end cap, I believe, will cause the I/O modules not to be able to be read, as there is essentially an open circuit.

If you are just interested in testing your code without worrying about I/O, check the [ ] Inhibit Module box on the Connection tab of every I/O module.

In this way, the PLC won't be trying to scan the I/O, and thus not worry about not finding it, and thus not fault when it doesn't.

Cheers,

are you actually using an indirect address with a constant as the pointer? Just curious.

This appears to be a SLC --> Logix5K conversion, so the former N7:190 is now N7[190].

Eventually, the OP should create Aliases for each of his tags, and then once the program is fully aliased, delete the B3, N7, etc. tags, and change the aliases to base tags. But that takes time and care.

It's possible that the OP's problem is that the PLC isn't going into RUN mode (due to major fault due to lack of endcap), which is why there is no green on his power rail in his screen shot. Just a guess, tho.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
@plctech303, No N7[190] value is used in just 2 places in the program. This value is passed to the PVP800 HMI Terminal.
@Aardwiz Yes, I could not see the DI,DO cards in RSLinx browser. Yes, the project is migrated from RSLogix 500 using converter tool. At the moment, we dont have end cap. So, I will have to test the PLC program in RSEmulate 5000 now,

I will try creating the application in RSEmulate 5000 and see whether it gets connected to PVP800 HMI terminal. Any suggestions on using RS Emulator. Do I need to add the I/O modules in RS emulator 5000 or just include the CPU.?Many thanks in advance.

RSEmulate works better for ControlLogix projects that CompactLogix. When you change processor types from CPX to Emulator ( "Change Processor Type" in Processor Properties), you lose all your native I/O, and this any references to them will be invalid, and thus program won't compile until you replace them. This may or may not be easy to do, depending on how the program is designed.

RSEmulate also only plays well with Rockwell visualization product. If you've only got Panelviews, you can test them; Wonderware, not so much. There are ways to get it to work using the Linx driver instead of ABCIP, etc., but the effort is almost not worth it.

An end cap is cheaper than your time.. Unfortunately, not every manager sees it this way, as your time is already budgeted, while the end cap must be expensed.

Last edited: