Step 7 & Starter Issues

dobidust

Hi Guys

I have a S7 PLC and G120 drive system that I need to modify slightly. The modifications needed are to put 2 values into a PID block and then send the value as a speed reference to the G120 drive. the speed is already sent to the drive currently over Profibus but looking at the code I cannot see where I need to index the address. The issues I have is that I have an old XP PG with Step 7 5.4 and no starter installed on it. I am told Siemens no longer provide the download for starter for XP and I am told that I will not be able to see where the addresses are indexed without starter installed. I can program a Siemens PLC with basic ladder logic but I have never done anything with the Profibus or SCL programming which the majority of this program is written in. Do any of you guys know were I could get a version of starter 4.1-4.4 ? If I can't is there a way of me completing this project with the current setup or will I need to buy a whole load of new software ?

The image attached shows the message I get when I try to open the code. It looks like it will prevent me from making any changes to the program at all.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Packages Needed.jpg

Hi, yes I tried it and it failed to install saying it was the wrong windows version. Siemens do not support Starter on XP anymore I am told. If someone had the install file that would be great but I am struggling. The packages need message come up and this wont even allow me to alter the code.

Regards

Sounds like you only need to make plc code changes?
You don’t need Starter loaded for that. Only for hardware changes will you need Starter

Also, any idea of the drive firmware?
The reason I ask is that older Starter doesn’t support the newer ssp’s for the newest drive firmware

With all these being said
PM me and I can send you older versions of Starter

Looking through the SCL I could not see where the address to the drive was being written to. I spoke to the distributor who said I would need starter installed in order to see the addressing.

I am unsure of the drive firmware version and not sure how I could check this without starter.

Regards

r0018

Hi,

If you have a BOP-2 or IOP, you can check the firmware version in parameter r0018.The firmware version code that you find what the code means in the following page https://sie.ag/2HXkgjK

I hope this helps you,

Best regards,

Edit: In your image you can find that you are missing several packages:

DRIVE ES & SIMOTION: Do you have a SIMOTION motion controller? You may need to install SCOUT instead of starter.

HW-Updates: Probably the project has a device configured with a newer version of than the ones available in you system.You need to update your hardware catalog.

Last edited:
Hi Kelkoon

I do not have scout nor have I ever used it, would I need to purchase this software or can it just be downloaded ?

Regards

Scout is software you would need to purchase, but you only need it if you are using SIMOTION. In their infinite wisdom, all the drive software shows up basically the same. Starter with Drives ES should be all you need.

Messages after starter v4.2 and catalogue Iistall

After installing starter v4.2 and the latest catalogue these are the messages I am now dealing with. During the catalogue update a few packages would not install which include ET 200s IM151-1 and counter cards which I am removing.

package issue.JPG package issue 2.JPG package issue 3.JPG

Post your project
Then someone can remove the G120 with Drive ES object.
Then re- insert with standard g120 gsd. Then you can open your project without Starter DriveES